Refinancing is the course of replacing one loan or more existing loans with a new one through a different lender. To refinance a loan requires you to consider lots of factors including your credit score, interest rates, terms of your existing loan, and a lot more. Refinancing a car is a very good choice if it enables you to save more money in interest over the period of your loan.
It comes with a lot of benefits like lowering your interest rate; reducing the amount you pay on the loan of your car and many more. However, the car will be the collateral on the new loan. Refinancing a car loan is not made for everyone, and deciding when to can be very challenging. For example, if you have a very poor credit history on your current loan, it may be a disadvantage to refinance.
However, you can refinance your car if your credit score increases, your interest rate dropped, or your monthly payment is too high. Just make sure you are sure of these before applying for a car refinance. Do you want to refinance a car loan and you do not know how? Well not to worry. That is because I will enlighten your more about Refinancing a car loan in this article.
Pros & Cons of Refinancing a Car Loan
Now before you apply for a car refinance, let’s talk about the disadvantages and advantages of refinancing a car loan;
Pros of Refinancing a Car Loan
- You have the opportunity to lower your monthly payment and interest rate
- Lowering the monthly payment can increase the monthly cash flow
- You can save money on the interest if you shorten the loan period
Cons of Refinancing a Car Loan
- The refinanced loan can have a higher interest rate the original loan
- Most lenders may issue a penalty for paying off your original loan before the term period
- You could pay more over time if you extend your loan period.
The above are the main basic pros and cons of refinancing a car loan. However, the one area that can be your pro or con is your credit scores.
How to Refinance a Car Loan
Refinancing a car loan is very easy and simple to do. It does not require any long process or guidelines. Nevertheless, below are the steps for refinancing a car loan.
- Decide if refinancing a car loan is the right move
- Review and check your current loan
- Check and remember your credit score
- Estimate and know the value of your car
- Shop around for best car refinance lenders
- Determine the amount you will save by refinancing
- Get your documents in order- proof of income, details of your existing loan and proof of insurance.
Once you have the requirements ready, you can now go to your lender and apply for the car refinance loan. Make sure you compare the loan before applying and check if you won’t regret it. I wish you the best.