How to Hotwire a Car – I am sure that you have seen in movies where they cut cables and join them together and the car mysteriously starts. Well, that is not magic. It is what we call hotwiring of a car. Furthermore, this process is usually performed when there is an emergency. For instance, if you cannot find or misplace your card keys. Well, you do not have to feel frustrated or angry when this happens.
In other words, there is an alternative that you can try out if you ever find yourself in this situation. At the end of this article, you will learn how to hotwire a car without the use of your key. What’s more, you will be able to start your car whenever you need to be at a place and can’t find your car.
To perform hotwiring, you will need to move under the steering wheel and twist two wires together to be able to start your car. In addition, when you are hotwiring it, it might draw the attention of people but you need to make sure that you have your proof of ownership if you want to hotwire your car.
How To Hotwire A Car
The tips I will be giving you in this blog post are not to be used for theft but if you are the owner of the car. But either way, it is time to begin the procedures required when you want to attempt hotwiring your car but with a screwdriver:
- Put the screwdriver in the keyhole and turn it. See if the car starts or not.
- If it doesn’t then you should continue to follow these steps.
- Use your screwdriver to unscrew the screws on your steering column cover.
- After you remove it, you will find the panels.
- Get rid of the access panels. You can just pull them out.
- Then, you will find the wires to the ignition system.
- You will also see three wires with three different colors.
- So, the battery wire is red.
- However, there is no general color system for the ignition wires but you can make effort to check online and search for the color of your model’s ignition wire.
- Next, get a wire stripper and cut some part of the insulation off of each end of both wires (Ignition and Battery).
- Join the two wires together and twist them.
- After twisting them, you will find out that your radio, ignition, and light will turn on.
- Search for the wire that connects to the starter motor.
- Remove a part of the insulation as well.
- Then, join the end of the wire and join it with the other two wires you have joined previously.
- However, DO NOT TWIST THE WIRES TOGETHER BECAUSE IT IS A LIFE WIRE.
- Once you join the three together, your engine should begin to run.
Lastly, use electrical tape to close the end of the live starter wire. So, even if you mistakenly touch it, you will not get electrocuted. If you do not cover the wire, it may even start a fire.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Still Possible To Hotwire Cars?
Yes, the hotwiring of cars is still possible. However, what you need to know is that hotwiring modern cars are not as easy as hotwiring cars made in the mid-90s. In other words, it may not be as easy as it seems with old cars. In addition, modern cars are also manufactured with safe and secure technology that will make this process a lot more dangerous and difficult.
Is It Illegal To Hotwire Your Car?
Hotwiring your car is not illegal. However, you need to make sure that you can provide proof and evidence of ownership. If you cannot provide this document and you are caught hotwiring a car, it will be considered illegal and a crime.
What Happens If You Hotwire A Car?
If you hotwire a car, the car will ignite and begin to run without the use of the key. So, hotwiring is said to be an alternative when you do not have your key or you misplace it. You can use this method to start your car.
What Color Wires Do You Use To Hotwire A Car?
There are three wires present and available when you want to hotwire your car. So, the yellow or brown wire represents the ignition wire, and your steering wire is the red one. Lastly, the starter wire is yellow. However, if you are performing this action through the hood, you can make use of the red cable together with the bumper cables.