How can I apply for a student loan in Ghana? Many students face the high worry of not having a steady source of income or a job to take care of their school fees. Since this has become an underlying issue among youths in schools, many have taken out loans to help them through school.
In Ghana, one of the leading organizations that primarily cater to the needs of student loans is the Students Loan Trust Fund. Besides being the leading platform for student loans in Ghana, the SLTF provides financial support and resources to thousands of applicants at the university.
To get qualified enough to successfully take out student loans for your education, various processes need to take place first and must be considered before you are deemed eligible. To learn more, read through this article and find out how you can apply for student loans in Ghana.
When Can You Apply For A Student Loan In Ghana?
There isn’t a specific timeline for when you can apply for a student loan in Ghana. This is a process that you can carry out anytime, as online loan applications are available for an entire academic year. If you want to know more about the loan amounts and dates they offer, you can learn more from the SLTF campus officers.
Requirements Needed To Meet To Apply
If you want to successfully collect student loans to help you financially, there are requirements you need to meet to qualify. Here are some of the requirements that are considered:
- You must be a Ghanaian.
- You must have been offered admission to an accredited tertiary program in Ghana.
- You must have a valid Ghana card number, preferably registered with a designated GRA office.
- You must have an active registered phone number as well as an email address.
- Additionally, you must have an E-Zwich card, which can be acquired from any bank.
- You must have a student’s identification card.
- Also, you must be pursuing a tertiary program like a first degree or a diploma.
You must meet these requirements if you want to be considered for a student loan in Ghana.
Documents Needed to Apply For Student Loans in Ghana
Certain documents will be required of you first before you can successfully get a student loan. Some of the required documents include:
- A student ID card and admission letter
- An e-zwich card (both sides required)
- SSNIT ID number or an SSNIT reference number
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Telephone number of both the applicant and guarantor
- Social Security Number
- The student must have a personal guarantor who is an MMDA, SSNIT, corporate body, or religious body.
If there is any more information that is needed, you will be made aware of it. However, these are the most important details you need to have ready.
Requirements For Your SSNIT Contributor Guarantor
A major requirement needed for your student loan is a guarantor that falls under any of these bodies: Municipal and District Assembly, SSNIT contributor, religious body, Metropolitan, and so on. Here are some detailed requirements for your SSNIT guarantor:
- Must be an active contributor to the SSNIT pension scheme.
- The candidate must be a Ghanaian.
- There must be a board resolution authorizing the guarantee.
- Also, the candidate must be a member of a recognized religious body.
- Must be over the age of 53 years old.
- Your chosen guarantor must not have guaranteed more than one person.
- The resolution should have two authorized signatories.
- There must be two signatories required, and they should at least be in a senior management position.
These are important boxes that your chosen guarantor has to check if you want a smooth and easy process with the guarantee of your student loan.
How To Apply For A Student Loan in Ghana
Now that you have confirmed the basic things and requirements you need to be considered eligible for a student loan, you can now carry out the process of applying for one. Here’s how you can apply for a student loan in Ghana:
- Visit the SLTF official website at sltf.gov.gh.
- Click the link to submit a loan application. There is also the option to save and come back to complete the application process later.
- Ensure you follow every single onscreen direction while filling out the forms.
- Upload a password picture online.
- Proceed to print out the summary pages of your loan application form.
- Ensure that you have the guarantor deed and student loan form printed out and completed. Additionally, ensure that all forms are completed in black ink and block letters.
- Next, ensure you have your fingerprints (index and thumb) as well as your guarantor’s fingerprints taken. You will have your fingerprint and thumbprint taken at any SSNIT branch and get help from any staff there.
- Proceed to provide copies of the documents required: SSNIT ID or reference number, student ID, admission letter, e-zwich card, etc.
You will have to submit two original copies of the completed application and copies of the documents to your local SLTF campus office.
Which Bank Gives Student Loans in Ghana?
Bank organizations also grant students at universities the ability to apply for student loans. Aside from the popular Student Loan Trust Fund, some banks in Ghana that offer loan services include the Ghana Commercial Bank, the National Investment Bank, and the Agricultural Development Bank. However, you should know that the terms and conditions for applying for student loans vary from one another.